Search This Blog

Sunday, August 10, 2014

Confidence trumps all

Carleigh O'Connell (Photo courtesy of: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10204295229208730&set=p.10204295229208730&type=1)
Keywords:
Carleigh O'Connell, confidence, bullying, personality, healthy

Carleigh O’Connell

I ran across an intriguing article online. Carleigh O’Connell is a 14-year-old New Jersey girl who appears to be very healthy and fit. She heard rumors from her classmates that someone made rude remarks about her behind by tagging "Carleighs ASS" on a stone wall.

First of all, why do people have to be so cruel?

Second of all, Carleigh has an amazing personality in that instead of crying, being ashamed and wanting to change herself (like I probably would have at 14 years old), she put on a bikini, found the wall and had someone take a photo of her proudly smiling about the graffiti.

Wow.

Carleigh posted the photo to Instagram, and her mother, Daryl, shared it on Facebook. The photo instantly went viral.


Carleigh told www.today.com that "It felt very empowering…it felt really good [to take the photo]."

And Daryl couldn’t have been more proud of her daughter. According to her original Facebook post, she said, "For me as the mom…I type this with tears in my eyes. Tears of joy knowing that my daughter can face negativity with a smile and a sense of humor. This will take her far in life. No perfect report card, high test score or award could top the pride I have today."

Isn’t it cool how something like this can go global in a matter of hours or days? Social media and the connectivity through the Internet is one of the greatest things for our global culture.

I can’t be certain, but my guess is that Carleigh has inspired many young and old women (and men). I know that she inspired me, and I will teach my daughters how to have such a great sense of pride and confidence in who they are as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment